Cactus V4 Performance Review

Last issue, I blogged that I had just gotten my new Cactus V4 triggers from Gadget Infinity. If you're interested in seeing what it looks like, you can check out that entry. For this entry however, I'll be writing about my initial review of its performance.

As I've previously mentioned, I was previously using the Cactus V2s triggers (also from GI) to fire my flashes off-camera, but their performance was short of spectacular. I had to mod the antenna on the transmitter (to increase the range and reliability), and mod a 1/8" jack to the receiver (again, to improve reliability). Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of success using them, but I had to put in quite an amount of work to get to that level. So now, with the new V4 triggers, I was hoping that their performance would be much better than that of the V2s transmitters.

After setting up the V4 triggers (pretty straightforward, did not even have to read the manual), first thing I did is to attach my Sigma EF500 DG Super. Previously, I mostly had to rely on optical flash to set off the EF500 DG Super, and I was pretty psyched after I read that GI had already tested the V4 with the Sigma. I put the flash on the receiver hotshoe, set the channels on both the trigger and the receiver, and set the Sigma to slave mode. I set the flash on the table, take the trigger in my hand, press the test button and... [pop!] Success, the flash goes off! Test one is okay.

From my reserach on the net on the performance of these triggers, I knew that there was still some question of the reliability of the units, especially with the earlier sets. To hedge my bets, I decided to get two sets, plus an extra receiver. To test the second set, I whip out my trusty Vivitar 285HV, mount it up, set the second receiver and transmitter for another channel, and [pop!], the second set also works fine.

At this point, I'm very happy with what I have, 2 sets of triggers working will already supply probably 80% of my needs. If the third receiver works as well, then I'm definitely golden. I take off the Vivitar from the second transmitter, mount it on the third (seems a bit tight), press the trigger and... nothing. Another try, still nothing. I look at the receiver's pilot light as I press the trigger, and still no response. Did I get a dud? Will I have to return it? I look at it again, and DOH! I realize that I forgot to turn the receiver on.

Turning the receiver on, press the trigger, and now I get a response on the pilot light, but the flash doesn't trigger. I take the flash off and remount, and still no go. Could there be a contact problem? I try the Sigma on the third receiver, and [pop] it's a mixed sucess on the receiver. I try my makeshift Vivtar-to-1/8th connector on the Vivitar and it's also successful. There seems to be something wrong with the shoe of the third connector, but a work-around is possible.

That actually is the only major concern on the triggers. Testing on the camera is great, and I get 1/250s (max sync speed on the 40D) with no banding at the bottom. For the range, it seems a little shorter than my modded V2s set, but I'm still getting great reliability at around 20 meters, which again, will support the great majority of my photography.

So to wrap up, there are still some issues with quality control, but the performance is much better than the V2s triggers. Reliability is really good (once you get them running), with no false triggers at all. I haven't really tried them in a longer shoot, but so far, I think they'll be a dream to use.

My rating: good. Really good choice for the budget strobist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agent 8

Chi-chi